Spiderman is pretty great.
Not only can he scale buildings, sling webs, and catch the bad guys, he can use his “Spidey Senses”. He is able to use his heightened senses to become attuned to his environment and sense the needs of those around him .
Our kids can become like Spidey too.
With a little practice, children can use their senses to calm their body, quiet their mind and increase focus.
This simple mindfulness activity can be done at home or in the classroom and have MAJOR impact.
Just a few of the benefits include:
*Providing children with skills to regulate their bodies and emotions
*Giving children the ability to relax and build attention
Spiderman was on to something! No wonder he is a Superhero!
Next time you find your child, student, or yourself feeling anxious, try this fun activity!
- Have the child find a quiet spot inside our outside the house. They may close their eyes if they would like (never force a child to close their eyes)
- Encourage your child to activate their Spidey Sense to become aware of the environment around them
- Ask them the following questions
- What do you see?
- What do you smell?
- What do you taste?
- What do you hear?
- Explain to your child that when they pay attention to their senses, they are able to calm their mind and quiet the “noise” inside their head
- Encourage the child to practice this for 2-3 minutes at a time
There are also some incredible videos on You Tube geared towards guiding children through awareness and becoming aware of their body.
Check them out!